Monday, July 16, 2012

Firsts.


This week has been one of firsts.
We volunteered with the South Bend (Illinois) Habitat for Humanity Chapter. It was by far the best build day we’ve had; they put us all to work and made sure we learned a few things along the way. A group of us worked on putting up rafters and roofing the garage. I ignored the slight anxiety of height and got up to nail the roofing as well. It was so rewarding!
In South Bend, another first for me – riding in a Hummer. After a long day in the heat, I barely thought twice climbing into the air conditioned monstrosity.But I gotta say, I don't understand the appeal still, considering the inside is cramped.
The new experiences continued...
I completed my first century bicycle ride, totaling 107 miles from South Bend.
And finally, I visited Chicago for the first time. I loved bicycling to the city. As one of my fellows riders put it - the cityscape appears after a bend in the river path - and then all the sudden, it envelopes you. It was a challenge to keep my eyes in front of me, when there was so much to see above.
In two days, we'll be in Madison!

No comments:

Post a Comment