Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Catch up!

Today was pretty epic. We bicycled 80 miles, and hit the 1,000 mark of our trip. We also left Ohio behind and said hello to Michigan. It was one of the rare days here at Bike & Build, where we got into our host site before 2pm and have had a good portion of the afternoon and evening to ourselves. 

Stella taking in the Ohio scene.
We spend this time in a variety of ways. Napping is not a question of an "if" but "when", and other common indulgences are visiting the post office, local pub, cleaning our bicycles, stretching, and giving/receiving massages.

I was delighted and surprised when I found out one of the women providing showers today also used to be a music teacher. We exchanged shaky, awful performances of our favorite classics for one another, and then attempted a duet. It sounded terrible, but it was fun. I laughed at my out-of-practice fingers.

In playing the piano, I've noticed something quiet disturbing is happening to my hands. I am developing what's known in the cycling world as "handlebar palsy," which is when one or more nerves in your hand is compressed and causes your hand to go numb/tingle/lose dexterity.

Writing, eating, and yes, playing a D major cord has become an interesting challenge.

I have been assured by my fellow riders and google that this can be improved with some minor adjustments to my positioning and focusing on my core while I ride. Things are getting real technical. 

This evening I was also thankful to have quality internet and thus a little more computer time (am I really saying this?). The real world was beckoning at the door, and I felt like I could no longer ignore it.

Alright real world, goodnight!


No comments:

Post a Comment